Sunday, January 25, 2015

Brownout? Worry No More.




Brownout again! What the hell! Blame it on the power supply provider! 

This may not happen in other countries, but here, in the Philippines, particularly in Mindanao area, brownout seems to be an ordinary thing. For a time, rotational brownout was worst and such an inconvenience to everybody. I remember the time when I was still working five years ago, there was no power supply for almost 5 to 8 hours! So I ended up idle with nothing else to do since my work was computer dependent. Presently, brownout still occurs very often  and if there is, an hour or two is the longest. Thank heavens!

And if there is brownout, I worry no more. In my years of experience (hahaha!), I learned how to make use it. C'mon! It's not an everyday thing anymore, where one is forced to detach from the humming and buzzing distractions of modern lifestyle like the internet (most especially), cell phones, television, etc. I took advantage of any power interruptions, no matter how inconvenient and hassle  it may be. 


1) Communicate 

When there is brownout, suddenly, the line is open. Everybody in the house is talking and sometimes, no one seems to be listening. To juice up the talks, have yourself something to eat or drink.


2) Listen to Sounds of Nature

I remember when we were on the terrace one night, only a candle illuminated us. The sounds I heard made me appreciate my surroundings. The sounds I never heard in such a long time. I mean, they were there every night, I just didn't listen. There were buzzing, whistling, hissing, screeching, barking, growling, sounds of insects, crickets & other nocturnal animals combined and the whistling noise of the trees from cold night's wind. I felt peace. Really. 



3) Do the Household Chores

When the power is out, do productive things like doing the laundry, cleaning the house, washing the dishes, cleaning the back yard, organize clutter, etc. 



4) Time to Read

If the weather is fine, get your book or any reading material and plop yourself under a tree or lie down on a hammock. Don't forget to bring some cold drinks and a pica pica to eat.



5) Exercise

Zumba is so in but needs music and music needs power. Now, having a fun run by yourself is not a bad idea after all, right? You are not just getting yourself fit, but healthy too.



6) Worry Free Rest 

I relish the moment when I am given a good excuse to just lie down at the comfort of my room, on my bed, doing nothing but rest. Whatta life! 



Want to try it yourself? Well, wait for power shutdown in your area and you'll realize that having no electricity is not so bad at all. 
Thanks for reading!

xoxo, 
jaq

No comments:

Post a Comment